Thursday, June 10, 2010

Multiple Approaches

“Make him go left! Make him go left!” These four words haunted me while I was growing up. One of my passions in life has athletics and athletics was how I spent most of my time. One of skills I tried hard to develop what to become equally as good dribbling with my left hand as my right hand. You see, only being a proficient right handed dribbler, I was a one dimensional player. So, when I would bring the ball up the court, the opposing coach would yell, “Make him go left!” The desire to become multi-dimensional pushed me to practice and practice something that did not come natural to me. Looking at learning goals that I have laid out for myself in Education is much of the same as what I strove for on the basketball court. I want to be a multi-dimensional educator. My undergraduate degree was in education and I spent my first two years out of as a classroom teacher. Those years, studying education and being an educator allowed me to be acutely aware of my need to have multiple approaches to teaching. Now as a leader in the church, I want to continue to develop my approaches. Through this class I hope to further develop two of my learning goals which are to 1) broaden my repertoire of teaching methods 2) is able to use multiple approaches to learning. While these two goals may seem the same, they are quite different. First, to broaden my teaching toolbox is to use different methods to teaching. Teach to each type of learning. Second, to use multiple approaches is to be able to use things like media to inform my learners. Hopefully this class will be able to help me develop both of these goals and keep moving me down the path as an educator.

3 comments:

  1. I can't help but think that the work Ankeny First UMC is doing to open a third campus built around athletics would be interesting to you Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeremy, your blog here completely resonates with me. I too have an undergrad in education and have spent many years teaching young children in private and public settings. I also have taught in "special needs" classrooms. Being multi-faceted as an educator is vital. One has to be able to translate to a "different" language if need be. I have often been struck by teaching techniques/learning environments supposedly geared for children with specific needs that are quite effective in other settings! Yes, we cannot be one-trick-ponies as educators, and we have all seen those types. You have to be willing to change on a dime if something is not working and you have to let go of your ego and put the learners needs first. It doesn't matter if "this is supposed to work and you are supposed to understand"if the learner isn't learning! I agree that this class is broadening my repertoire of teaching strategies and paradigms to hopefully allow me to engage multiple audiences! Thanks Jeremy! Brigette

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great goals. It seems like another one of those things for which pastors are not always well-prepared. Those of us without a background in education have to rely on our learning experiences as we become teachers, and too often our learning experiences are centered on just one model of learning. Teaching pre-school Sunday school has helped me explore different teaching methods, since reading and discussion don't work for pre-schoolers, but I'm still interested in developing a broader range of teaching approaches.

    ReplyDelete